Finding the best heated toilet seat for my family was a game changer; a simple, quick, and relatively inexpensive addition that, quite frankly, we should have installed a long time ago.
I don’t know about you, but it’s cold in the winter where I live. And while this isn’t the 1920’s, and we do have central heating, that toilet seat gets mighty chilly in the middle of the night. I will, inevitably, stay uncomfortable in bed for hours rather than face being fully awoken by the bone chilling ‘welcome’ that it offers. Enter the heated toilet seat – one of the best upgrades we’ve ever made to our bathroom.
Best Heated Toilet Seat Sneak Peek
|SmartBidet Electric Bidet Toilet Seat||Check Up-to-Date Price on Amazon|
|Brondell LumaWarm Heated w/Nightlight||Check Up-to-Date Price on Amazon|
|Bemis Radiance Heated w/Nightlight||Check Up-to-Date Price on Amazon|
|ToastieTush Seat Warmer||Check Up-to-Date Price on Amazon|
|Livtribe Toilet Seat Warmer||Check Up-to-Date Price on Amazon|
|Biobidet Bliss Electronic Toilet Seat||Check Up-to-Date Price on Amazon|
|UltraTouch Heated Toilet Seat||Check Up-to-Date Price on Amazon|
|Kohler Pure Warmth Heated Toilet Seat||Check Up-to-Date Price on Amazon|
What To Consider Before Buying a Heated Toilet Seat
Heated toilet seats may be a game changer in bathroom comfort, but there are a few things you should think about. There are definitely some options that are better than others and some features that may make it even better!
- Toilet Shape. Toilets are typically either round or elongated. While it is technically possible to install an elongated seat on a round toilet (and vice versa), it’s best if you determine which type you need before ordering. A good fitting toilet seat will make things much more comfortable.
- Adjustable Temperature Settings. Some heated toilet seats are a one temperature affair which is definitely an improvement over not having a heated toilet seat at all; but an adjustable heat setting makes it even better. It is then possible to lower the temperature during the warmer months, and turn it up in the cooler months.
- Bidet Options. Many heated toilet seats come in combination with bidet features that perhaps you had not considered. Warm water washing, variable spray patterns, heated air drying, and environmentally friendly; these toilet fixtures are worth taking a look at.
- Nightlight. Two of the options listed below have a nightlight feature built in. No more stumbling around in the dark looking for the toilet. A soft, glowing nightlight will help guide you; no more squinty eyes as you have to turn on the light in the middle of the night!
- Plug In Requirements. Many heated toilet seats require an electrical outlet in order to function. It is possible to use an extension cord for this but be sure to understand whether it needs to be plugged in, and how you can manage that before ordering.
8 of the Best Heated Toilet Seats (Plus More!)
Heated toilet seats are definitely a luxury, but they don’t have to be expensive. Here are 8 of the best heated toilet seats; some with even more options that you just might find worthwhile.
1. BioBidet Bliss Electronic Toilet Seat – Includes Bidet Features Too!
- 3 IN 1 STAINLESS STEEL NOZZLE - Offers posterior, feminine, and vortex washes, improves hygiene
- SMART SEAT-SMART DECISION - Streamlined comfort-adjustable heated seat and water, slow closing lid
- ECO FRIENDLY- Energy Save Mode, reduces electricity and toilet paper, good for the environment
- FEEL THE DIFFERENCE - Oscillating wide clean and pulsating message technology with bubble infusion
- HYBRID HEATING TECHNOLOGY - Offers continuous warm water during your entire experience
Things to Like:
- Adjustable heated seat settings
- Slow closing lid
- Posterior and feminine wash nozzles
- Heated drying
There is no doubt that a bidet toilet seat is a step up from a heated toilet seat – in all of the best ways! We’re big fans of considering all the options when switching out one version of an item for another. So, we wanted to present the best of options if you’re considering switching out your toilet seat.
This bidet toilet seat not only has adjustable heat settings for the toilet seat; it also features a slow close lid (no more slamming!) and front and rear wash nozzles with heated water. And then a dryer. It is next level worth it.Check Price, Reviews, and Availability
2. SmartBidet Electric Bidet Toilet Seat – Heat, Wash, and Dry All-In-One
- Heated Seat and Water for comfort.
- Slim and sleek design.
- Child Wash Setting Available
- Multiple Settings for water pressure and spray pattern
- Conveniently attached Control Panel
Things to Like:
- Heated seat
- Heated water with multiple spray patterns
- Warm air dryer
- Control panel
There is some argument to be had that, if you’re going to replace your toilet seat with a heated version, then you might as well ‘level up’ and get one that includes bidet features. This SmartBidet model made our list of Best Electric Bidet Toilet Seat and yet the price point is within the same range as other heated toilet seat options.
The bidet features are what make this model stand out from the other heated toilet seats; heated water spray, adjustable water pressure, adjustable water direction (front and rear), a child wash setting, and a soft close seat. It is definitely the King of Kings when it comes to heated toilet seats; worth a look!Check Price and Reviews on Amazon
3. Kohler Pure Warmth Heated Toilet Seat – Warmth Plus Great Design
- Heated toilet seat with three adjustable warmth settings: low, medium, and high
- Dual led lighting offers guiding light when lid is down and task light when lid is lifted
- Night-light is manually adjustable to two color choices and two brightness levels.
- Hidden cord provides a clean look.
- Quiet-close lid closes slowly and quietly without slamming
- Quick-release hinges allow seat to be unlatched from toilet for easy removal and convenient cleaning; no tools required
Things to Like:
- Adjustable heat settings
- Nighlight with three settings
- Quiet close lid
- Quick release for easy cleaning
It is the sleek, modern design that sets this heated toilet seat apart from the rest. It will easily fit into the newest bathroom design, bringing warmth and comfort with it too.
Three adjustable heat settings allow the seat to perform at its best in all seasons. Set it to low for the warmer months, and then slowly adjust it up as the cooler weather sets in. The nightlight also has three settings – no more stumbling around in the dark!
The quick release hinges are a game changer for toilet seats. Cleaning is so much easier when there are no nooks and crannies; simply lift it off and clean underneath!Check Price, Reviews, and Availability
4. Brondell LumaWarm Heated Seat w/Nightlight – Adjustable Comfort
- WARM AND WELCOMING: Say goodbye to the shock of a cold toilet seat and say hello to a warm, welcoming seat. Four seat heat settings make the LumaWarm comfortable all year round.
- ILLUMINATING NIGHTLIGHT: A cool blue nightlight illuminates your toilet bowl, lighting your way during your midnight trip to the ‘loo.
- SLOW CLOSE AND MORE: Gentle closing seat and lid, ergonomic seat, intuitive controls.
- EASY INSTALLATION: the LumaWarm installs easily on your existing toilet, simply remove your toilet seat and replace it with the LumaWarm. No plumber or tools required.
Things to Like:
- Four temperature settings
- Slow close lid
- Quick heating
With four temperature settings, the LumaWarm has a heat setting for every member of your family! From ‘low’, that matches body temperature so that you don’t even notice the heat but you DO notice the absence of cold, to a ‘high’ setting that creates a cocoon of warmth on even the coldest of days. The toilet seat can be left on and always ready, or can be turned on just prior to use to save electricity – it heats up within a minute or so.
Obviously the seat heater is the major draw here, but the nightlight is a pretty cool feature too. A soft blue glow in the night-time so you don’t have to turn on a bright light to find your way. It’s like you almost don’t have to wake up in the night anymore. 🙂Check Price and Reviews on Amazon
5. Bemis Radiance Heated Toilet Seat w/Nightlight – Warmth and Light
- 3 SETTINGS: Multi-setting warming Seat with 3 temperature settings for comfort
- SOFT ILLUMINATION: Built-in blue LED night light that illuminates the bathroon with a soft, soothing glow
- NO SLAMMING: Seat closes slowly and quietly with a tap to eliminate pinched fingers
- NO MORE WIGGLE: With the STA-TITE fastening System your Seat will never come loose
- INSTALLS WITH A SNAP: The STA-TITE Seat Fastening System is easy to install with just a wrench
- MORE STABILITY: Super Grip Bumpers prevent the Seat from shifting on the toilet bowl
Things to Like:
- 3 Temperature Settings
- Soft Close Lid
- Night Light
- Stability Grips
Another great entry in the game-changing heated toilet seat category. Three temperature settings to match whatever brutally cold winter you might experience where you are (I’m in a ‘medium’ setting part of the country – what about you?). The nightlight and soft-close lid allow for a stealth-level trip to the bathroom in the middle of the night.
This toilet seat also comes with stability grips underneath. No more slipping and sliding; the toilet seat stays put while you’re seated on it.Check Price and Reviews on Amazon
6. UltraTouch Heated Toilet Seat – Simple Design At Its Best
- Durable high quality construction
- Ultra Comfortable patented seating surface
- Economical - Uses only 12 watts of electricity. Only 1/5th the power of a 60 watt lightbulb!
- Safe - Sealed 12 volt design and UL listed transformer ensures family safety.
- Built in antimicrobial agent
Things to Like:
- Safe, simple design
- Low power usage
- Comfortable seat
I love this option; it’s a simple design that does exactly what it’s supposed to. It provides a nice, warm, heated toilet seat for those cold nights when sitting on the toilet is not the most-looked-forward-to experience.
Simply plug it in (using an electric cord extension if need be) and it starts to heat the seat to a comfortable temperature. It doesn’t get any simpler when it comes to comfort design.Check Price, Reviews, and Availability
7. ToastieTush Toilet Seat Warmer – Use Your Existing Toilet Seat!
- Special heating pad easily attaches to underside of existing toilet seat lid.
- Transfers warmth to the seat when lid is closed (you do not sit on the pad).
- Safe: Tested to UL & CSA standards. Has its own GFCI plug & 8 ft cord.
- Easy to clean: Waterproof vinyl.
- 3 temperature settings.
Things to Like:
- Innovative design
- No need to replace existing toilet seat
- Three temperature settings
- Easy to clean
The best part about this toilet seat heater is that is works on your existing toilet; no need to replace the existing toilet seat!
This is an innovative design in the world of heating toilet seats – a heating pad is affixed (using velcro strips) to the underside of the toilet seat lid. When the lid is closed, the heating pad is in contact with the toilet seat, warming to a comfortably toasty level.
Just like other heated toilet seat options, this one also has three temperature settings. Remember though, that the heating pad is on the underside of the lid; this means that it is touching your back when you sit. Some users have reported that the highest setting heats the seat up nicely but that it is a bit warm on the back when sitting down. The middle setting seems to be the magic point.Check Price and Reviews on Amazon
8. LivTribe Toilet Seat Warmer – Innovative Heating Pads
- GOOD HEATING EFFECT - You can regulate the temperature that you feel comfortable
- HIGH EFFICIENCY - Quickly and evenly heated. After being energized, the entire toilet lid can be heated quickly and can be adjusted to a temperature that is comfortable for you
- SAFE POWER SAVING - Energy saving, the output voltage is only 16V, low power consumption, and waterproof design, no fear of bathroom water vapor, no electric shock, safe and reliable.
- EASY TO INSTALL
Things to Like:
- Installed on existing toilet seat
- Inexpensive toilet seat heating option
- Multiple heat settings
To be honest, I’m not sure about the design of this method of heating a toilet seat. Sticking heating pads underneath the toilet seat seems a bit rudimentary. BUT, it works! The heating pads do heat the toilet seat as they should, and the manual control allows a full range of temperature settings.Check Price and Reviews on Amazon
Heated Toilet Seat Benefits
- Warm comfort on cold winter nights. It can’t be stressed enough how much having a warm toilet seat changes those cold winter night bathroom runs. A comfortable, warm, inviting toilet seat will have you out of your bed, and back again, before you’re barely awake.
- Relief for arthritis sufferers. A cold toilet seat may actually be painful for those with arthritis in their hips as the cold temperature causes stiffness and discomfort. Having a warmed place to sit can help relieve that stiffness, making it easier to get up and continue with the day.
- Lower room temperature. With the toilet seat heated, the ambient temperature of the bathroom can be lowered, saving money on your heating bill. Some people have reported that their basement, or garage, bathroom is completely unheated but the heated toilet seat allows it to be used even in the middle of winter.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does there need to be an electrical outlet near the toilet?
Electric heated toilet seats require plugging in so the closer an electrical outlet, the better. A small extension cord could work if there is an outlet nearby but not right next to the toilet.
Are heated toilet seats worth it?
They are! A good quality heated toilet seat, like the Kohler one listed above, is not that much more expensive than any other quality toilet seat. If you are considering switching out your existing toilet seat, then investing in a heated version is worthwhile. Ask yourself this winter if a heated toilet seat would have made you more comfortable.
How do I know if my toilet is round or elongated?
It’s important to get the correctly shaped toilet seat to ensure that it fits your toilet perfectly. It’s easy to figure out.
Measure the length of the toilet bowl from the center of the toilet seat bolt holes at the back of the toilet, to the front edge of the toilet bowl.
Round toilet bowls measure at about 16.5 inches. Elongated toilet bowls measure about 18.5 inches.
It’s that simple.
Do heated toilet seats use a lot of electricity?
In general, no they don’t. Specifically the bidet versions definitely use more electricity than the simpler heated toilet seats but even the bidet versions are very energy efficient; you won’t notice the difference in your electrical bills
Do I need an adjustable temperature setting?
This probably depends on where you live. If the temperature in your area is relatively moderate all year long then it’s likely that a single heat setting will work. Set it an forget it. If your area sees very low winter temperatures, and moderate summer temperatures then an adjustable heat setting will work better. It can be set to be warmer in the cold winter months and then turned down once the weather heats up.