There’s no doubt that space is at a premium in todays modern home. Rooms are getting smaller and smaller and every piece of furniture, appliance, or fixture has to prove its worth; either by performing double duty or being so beautiful (and compact) that it demands the space it takes. That’s what’s great about the best wall mounted toilet – it’s a space saving design coupled with an ultra-modern, sleek look that elevates bathroom design to the next level.
Best Wall Mounted Toilet
- Toto Aquia Wall-Hung Toilet and In-Wall Tank System – sleek design and space saving too
- KOHLER K-6299-0 – when installed, this toilet appears to ‘float’ in space
- Swiss Madison Concorde – a square design sets this version apart from the others
It’s true that wall mounted toilets tend to cost a little more than traditional models. If you’re looking for a sleek design at a more affordable price, check out our best one piece toilet article. These modern designs take up less space than a two-piece model, and are at a better price point.
ABSOLUTE BEST: TOTO Aquia Toilet and Wall Hung System
Things to Like
- Nothing else to buy – this is a complete system
- Saves 9″ of valuable floor space
- Dual flush with low flo powerful flushing action
- ADA compliant
Wall mounted toilets are all about two things; sleek design and saving space. This model does both easily. Nine inches of floor space is gained by mounting the toilet tank in the wall. This leaves a simple, clean lined, look of the toilet bowl ‘floating’ in space. It’s an ingenious design that can really make a difference if you’re fighting for every inch of space in your bathroom.
Beyond the good looks of this design, it also features an environmentally friendly dual flush system – using less water for liquid waste flushing than for solid waste flushing. It’s easy to clean – just mop right under it! – and is ADA compliant if you mount it at the 17″ to 19″ toilet seat height.
The best part about the TOTO Aquia is that it comes as a complete system. The toilet bowl, tank, and carrier/mounting system are all together – unlike some other models (that appear less expensive) that sell the toilet bowl and tank/carrier separately. Keep this in mind as you comparison shop.
NAME BRAND: Kohler K-6299-0
Things to Like:
- Save up to 12″ of floor space
- Environmentally friendly dual flush system
- Sleek, modern design
- Strong mounting hardware
Kohler is a trusted brand in the plumbing industry – if you’re looking for a quality product that is often American made, then you can’t do better. While this model doesn’t come with the tank and carrier system (remember that often, wall mounted toilets do not – you’ll need to order these pieces separately – see below), it does include steel frame brackets to mount the toilet bowl to the wall.
The sleek, modern design is an element of the floating illusion and the space that is saved by essentially not being able to see half of the toilet fixture. If even a small bathroom renovation is in the plans, consider a wall mounted toilet to get the most out of your new bathroom space.
BEST VALUE: Swiss Madison Concorde
Things to Like:
- Beautiful squared off design
- Dual flushing low-flo system
- Soft close seat
- Easy clean with Quick Release seat
The squared off design of this model PLUS the Bargain Bathroom approved price gets top marks. A great price while still featuring the same benefits of more expensive models: space saving, dual flush system, and EPA approved water consumption.
The soft close seat is a nice feature also – no more slamming toilet seats! Cleaning is a breeze – the toilet seat comes right off to avoid having to get into all the nooks and crannies, plus you can mop right underneath it.
This model does not include the tank/carrier system – the price is still a Best Value but remember this when ordering and when comparing to other models.
Tank and Carrier System Also Required
Most wall mounted toilets on the market do not come with the tank and the carrier system included. This can make comparison shopping difficult – some models include these pieces while others don’t, so it can be tricky to successfully compare one to another.
The tank and carrier system are the pieces of wall mounted toilets that are installed inside the wall behind the ‘floating’ toilet bowl. The tank holds the water but is not the same porcelain tank that you see on traditional toilets – these are typically made of plastic and insulative styrofoam because it is hidden so it’s only job is to hold the water. The carrier system is the mounting hardware that holds the tank in place in the wall.
Most wall mounted toilet manufacturers do produce tank/carrier systems but, luckily, they are also fairly interchangeable. Swiss Madison makes one designed for their own models, but it works just as well on other models also. Just be sure to double check the specifications to be sure.
Considerations Of Wall Mounted Toilets
While it is the space saving benefits of wall mounted toilets that attract most homeowners to this option, there are a few other points that should be considered when determining what type of toilet to buy:
- Installation. Installing a wall mounted toilet will mean at least a small renovation as the tank/carrier system must be installed within the walls. Minimally the wall directly behind the toilet will require access but also, if this is replacing a traditional toilet, the drain will need to be sealed up and moved also. Hiring a good plumber with experience in this type of installation will make everything go smoother.
- Maintenance and Repairs. While maintenance and repairs are often the reason why a home owner might not choose a wall mounted toilet, most reviews indicate that this is not an issue. The toilets are well made and most often are installed with an access panel to allow for minimal maintenance and repairs to be performed without having to open up the wall. Again, hiring a good plumber if repairs are necessary will help to minimize the concern and mess.
Best One Piece Toilet
If you’re still not convinced that the space saving benefits of a wall mounted toilet is right for you and your family, but you’re still looking for great design and a more modern look, check out our best one-piece toilet article.